Platformers United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commentary

Go down

Commentary Empty Commentary

Post  SuperSonic Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:16 pm

The data comes from random polling and interview responses of the immediate Georgia Tech community, as well as of friends and family outside this circle. The general age range is between 15 - 25, with some responses from those aged 25+. Individuals selected for interview answered a more in-depth set of open ended questions, a short summary of their results are available in Field Notes section. Below is my commentary on all the findings and considerations from the polls.

Commentary Graph310

Generally, the trend shows that most people are either avid gamers or social gamers in our community. Avid gamers were noted to play more single player games (including platformers), role playing games, or adventure style games. Social gamers play multiplayer games (like Halo, Golden Eye, Super Smash Bros). In addition to these multiplayer style games, they also play at events like lan parties, racing style games also tend to invite a more social crowd.

This brings into question MMORPGs, can group based games online (StarCraft or WoW) imply that an individual is a social gamer? Is the level of immersion enough to gain a truly social experience from just a keyboard, mouse, and headset wired to an internet connection? It is also import to consider games that are played through Xbox Live or through the online services of the Wii. Console games that go live involve a lot more movement and interaction. I feel as though it is difficult to set a divide. I find myself playing socially, however I am so immersed in the gameplay that I do not acknowledge the gamers around me. Even when they are yelling and trash talking. Have I become a solo gamer? I cannot be alone in this sentiment, there must be a wide community of gamers that thread a thin line between social and gaming as an "individual".

People who polled and did not play video games tended to be older than 25 or female. This is not the case however in Asian cultures where gaming is more accepted into daily life. Gaming of any sort is even celebrated as the rise of technology; in these societies, it is accepted as a norm in society for anyone to play (young or old, male or female). I believe that this sense of female gamers is a result of some sort of social conditioning that "boys play games and girls pursue other interests". In the development community it has become apparent that games marketed toward a younger audience may directly target females and males equally, but as the target age increases the female angle drops off. Why is this? Is there such a gender divide in the world of video games? Look at Super Mario, our favorite platformer, we are trying to save the princess. Where is the option for a prince?

Commentary Graph410

After considering different types of gamers, how notable is platform gaming in society? Most people know what platform games are provided that we show them an example. Who doesn't know Sonic, Mario (Luigi), and Zelda? These icons, platform stars have become part of pop culture today. Sega and Nintendo both owe their success to such characters from the platformer culture. Even Sony created a semi-famous icon, Crash Bandicoot. Technology also parallels this concept of platform pop culture with the transition from the single screen era to 3-dimensional gaming and beyond (virtual reality). The category platformer has become dated as new innovations and complexities of the field have made games more realistic and immersive. Platformers have become action and adventure genres in today's market. Why do play the "old school" titles when there is so many better titles out there? I have a feeling it is nostalgia. Something that seems so simple, requiring little to no thought, with one goal; reaching the next level with the most number of points possible. The almost mindless gameplay becomes challenging and exiting, to the point of metamorphasis; you have become the next pixelized-enemy-smashing hero.

Commentary Graph210

Resources, as I like to call them, to others are labeled cheats, and fall into the realm of completely taboo. I am all for using walkthroughs, codes, and hacks. No, I am not addicted to cheating my way through anything, but rather I want to experience the entire game. The experience I intend to achieve is one of testing limits. I want to see the entire game, all the levels as the developer has designed it. I would like to know the limits of all the provided characters and characters that are hidden. Yes, all this could be achieved by hard work, and hours of gameplay, but really who has such time? If you spend so much time in one game, you lose the opportunity to explore other games, that may spark your interest more. The social gamer is the exception to this "rule". In order to gain respect and praise in a multiplayer setting, you simply have to be good. Sometimes even better than good. And here "cheating" will get you boo'ed, banned or worse, outcasted.
SuperSonic
SuperSonic
Admin

https://platformconnect.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum